DUH!! These Are “Onesie”

Bin after bin of toiletries at the WWMC

Today I started the day on the run.  I must have hit the alarm clock and not realized it and I slept until 6:45.  I jumped in the shower and was out the door in 30 minutes.

I am still moving items from the old WWMC to the new WWMC.  Finding space for all the items is tricky since we had 4 connex to put the items in and we did not have to actually have all the items in the WWMC.  Now that we have moved into a room that is not any larger than the old WWMC, it is difficult to find room for all the items that we need without having to walk back and forth all day long.

Today I moved the shoes.  That was a large task that started with the moving of all the boxes.  Most of the shoes were in the shoe boxes, but some of the boxes were still in the case box of 12 pairs.  I found a box of shoes that were all loose.  I thought at first that someone had sent them to us and did not send the boxes in which the shoes were packed.  Since the shoes were all mixed up I decided to start pulling them out to match up the styles and sizes.  I pulled out about 18 shoes and could not find any matches.  You know when you have one of those DUH moments and it took me about 6 more shoes to realize that the box was for our “onesie,” or better known as our single shoes.  These shoes were the left over shoes of all the patients that had come in to LRMC missing a leg and only needed one shoe.  As I looked at this large box of shoes, I felt my heart hurt.

All these brave men and woman had given up a part of their life in the GWOT and would never have it back. How do we ever repay them?  As I looked at this 15x18x18 box, I had mixed emotions and knew by talking with many of them here that they just wanted to go back to the Middle East to finish the job.  Even missing a leg, they wanted to go back.  Of course they miss home, the wife, the kids, the normal life that we all take for granted, but these men and woman were fighting to keep the war “off our shores” and so many of us don’t even think about them each day.  As I looked at the box, I found tears in my eyes, but I was also proud.  Proud to know that such people lived to protect us and the war that “only lived in our living room on our TV’s.”

We had another semi-slow day as far as the patient load was concerned.  The weather was rainy and so it made getting supplies out of the storage rooms a little messy but manageable.

I have updated our How to Help page with some new items and a new location.  There is a new picture of the CASF.  I will post pictures of the Ramstein CASF when the blog is posted to the web page.

Tonight when I started to leave I had to come back twice.  I can’t help myself.  When I see a patient walking to the WWMC I just have to keep going back to help them.  I unlocked the door twice tonight.  I am sure that the DWWMC thought I was crazy asking for the keys and turning them back in 20 minutes later to only ask for them less than 10 minutes later and then turn them back again in 20 minutes.

Tonight I am going to bed before 11:00 P.M. so this is going to be it for tonight.  Today I worked 10 hours thanks to the support of Callie Waddell.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.