Around the Circle 11 Times

Yesterday, Sunday some of the patients wanted to go to Ramstien to spend their $250 voucher from DOD to purchase clothing.  I was to meet them at 10 and off we went.  As you head into the Air Base, there is a traffic circle.   It was the joke of the day as we headed around the traffic circle 11 times that day – Look kids, Big Ben.

We got to the Air Base and one of the guys forgot his voucher, so I took him back to LRMC to pick it up.  This is now twice around the traffic circle.  On the way back from LRMC, I had to stop and get gas.  On the way back to the base, just as we passed the circle, I realized I could not find my military ID.  The only place it could be was at the gas station.  This was now four times around the traffic circle.  We then returned to the base through the circle making it 5 times around the circle.

Then one of the patients wanted to send some Eis Wein home to a friend for his wedding.  We went to several places on base and decided to go back to the first place.  Somehow, between the time we left the last place looking at the wine and heading back to the first place to pick up the wine, I forgot and headed off base.  I remembered just as I passed the circle and started laughing because here we went around the circle 2 more times to head back to the base for a total of 7.

Then it was actually time to leave Ramstein and the guys wanted to find a restaurant called Big Emma’s.  I had no clue where it was, so we traveled around for about 20 minutes asking directions before we finally found it.  I will post some pictures from the restaurant once I return home.  This made 8, 9 and 10 trips as we searched for the restaurant, then 11 to take everyone home.

I dropped everyone off at about 7:00.  It was a long day, but they all had a sense of humor and I think everyone enjoyed themselves.

This morning, Monday, I just did not get much accomplished.  I went to the storage room a few building away from our store rooms 1-4.  I walked in and realized it would take another 2 to 3 weeks to get that room organized.  Someone shipped 2000 pounds of candy here and it is in the room along with boxes upon boxes of flip flops, clothing, and I don’t know what else.

I do not have 3 more weeks here, so I guess another volunteer will have to attack that task.

Between running to the USO to drop off food items that we have so much excess of and then running to the store room for supplies, then going to the good bye luncheon and then returning to the hospital and visiting our young man from dinner who had his surgery today, and then getting my own shot, I don’t know where the day went.  Thank goodness for the two volunteers who put the last two boxes together for our contacts in the Middle East.  By the way the young man who had surgery this morning is doing just fine.

I went to work at 8:30 this morning left at 4:30, but I have no idea where the time went.

Thank you Michael and Debra Carter for making this possible!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *